Brenda L Storey, Esq.
Brenda L. Storey is one of the most prominent and well-respected family law practitioners in the state. She is recognized among the best custody and divorce lawyers in Colorado. Ms. Storey has been selected to The Best Lawyers in America, chosen as a Colorado Super Lawyer by Law & Politics and 5280 Magazine, and named a Top Lawyer by Denver Magazine. She is well respected by judges, attorneys and forensic experts. However, her greatest accolades, and primary source of referrals, are from her clients.
Ms. Storey has been specializing in family law for over 20 years, and she knows this area of law from the inside out. She works directly with the sponsors, drafters, and lobbyists of family law-specific proposed legislation. She chaired the Family Law Section of the Colorado Bar Association, working closely with practitioners, judicial offers, and experts to improve the domestic relations practice and its impact on the families it is meant to protect and serve. Ms. Storey runs the Family Law Basic Skills seminar annually, teaching her colleagues new to this practice of law the substantive fundamentals. She has co-authored treatises and articles focused on family law practice, and she lectures regularly on numerous domestic relations specialized topics.
Honors, Awards, Experience and Accomplishments:
- AV Peer Review Rating, Martindale Hubbell
- Selected One of Americas Top Female Executives 2015-2017
- U.S. News Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” 2017
- Selected National Association of Distinguished Counsel Top One Percent 2015-2016
- Selected to Best Lawyers in America
- Selected as a Colorado Super Lawyer for 6 years, by Law & Politics and 5280 Magazine
- Selected Top 100 Lawyers by The National Advocates
- Named a Top Lawyer by Denver Magazine
- 10 Best in Colorado Client Satisfaction Award, American Institute of Family Law Attorneys
- Chair, Family Law Section of the Colorado Bar Association, 2011 – 2012
- Member of the Legislative Committee of the Family Law Section, Colorado Bar Association, 2007 – Present
- Chair of the 2011 Family Law Institute, “Say You Want a Revolution,” a three day seminar which was attended by approximately 450 family law practitioners, members of the bench, certified public accountants, and mental health practitioners from across the state. The “revolution,” theme was to inspire lawyers, judges, and experts to bring back respect and dignity to the legal process around family issues, as well as to focus on new ways to deal with substantive family law issues.
- Hosted the “Kick-Off to the 2011 Family Law Institute,” with headliner Alec Baldwin, who shared his very personal story of being a party to a dissolution case, the sometimes unbearable expectations and loss imposed by our system, and the lasting damage the players can do to a family going through the process. For more, see http://cbaclelegalconnection.com/?s=alec+baldwin
- Co-Chair 2008 Family Law Institute
- Program Chair Family Law Basic Skills 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016-a two day program in which lawyers new to family law practice are taught the fundamentals of this specialized areas of law.
- Lecturer: Modern Families, Innovative Courts: The 2015 Domestic Relations Best Practice Court Institute for Judges, Magistrates, Family Court Facilitators and Sherlocks June 2015
- Lecturer: Choosing and Using the Child and Family Investigator, CFI annual training through Continuing Legal Education in Colorado, Inc., 2008 – 2011
- Lecturer: Parental Responsibilities, Family Law Basic Skills Seminar through Continuing Legal Education in Colorado, Inc., 2011, 2012
- Lecturer: Preparing your Client for a CFI or PRE, Family Law Institute , 2013
- Lecturer: Legislative Update , Family Law Section , 2013
- Lecturer: Legislative Update, Fall Family Law Update, 2013
- Chair – Elect, Family Law Section of the Colorado Bar Association, 2010 – 2011
- Secretary, Family Law Section of the Colorado Bar Association, 2009 – 2010
- Treasurer, Family Law Section of the Colorado Bar Association, 2008 – 2009
- Elected to the Colorado Bar Association Executive Council of the Family Law Section, 2004 – Present
- Fellow, Colorado Bar Foundation, 2007 – Present
- Outstanding Woman Law Graduate of Nova Southeastern University 1994
- Nova Law Review, Junior and Senior Staff Member, 1992 – 1994
- Co-Chair 2008 Barrister’s Benefit Ball, Denver Bar Association
- Board Member Continuing Legal Education in Colorado, Inc., 2008 – 2010
- Broward County Women Lawyers’ Association Debra Levy Neimark Public Interest Law Scholarship Recipient
- Arlene and Mark Rohr Public Interest Fellowship Recipient
- Colorado State Senate Tribute Recipient
- Top Lawyers of 2017, as published in The Denver Post
- AV Preeminent Judicial Edition – 2017
- Florida, 1994
- Colorado, 1995
- Nova Southeastern Law University, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, 1994 J.D.
Honors: Summa Cum Laude
Law Review: Nova Law Review, 1992 – 1994
- Colorado State University, 1991 B.S.
- Colorado Family Law & Practice – 2 Volume Set, West Publishing, Vol. 19 & 20 of Colorado Practice Series, Initial Publication
- Dissolution of Marriage, Legal Separation, Declaration of Invalidity and Child Custody, West Publishing, Colorado Methods of Practice
- Dissolution of Marriage Chapter, The Practitioner’s Guide to Colorado Domestic Relations Law, Continuing Legal Education in Colorado, Inc.
- Even During Divorce, the Tax Man Cometh, Family Advocate, Summer 2009
- Defending Against a Common Law Marriage Claim, The Colorado Lawyer, Volume 34. No. 3, 2005
- Surveying the Alimony Landscape: Origin, Evolution and Extinction, Family Advocate, Spring 2003
- Surveying the Alimony Landscape, GP Solo, The Best Articles Published by the ABA, 2004
- Achieving Consistent Disposition of Frozen Embryos in Marital Dissolution Under Florida Law, 17 Nova Law Review 549, 1992
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Colorado Bar Association, Member, Family Law Section
- American Bar Association, Member
- Denver Bar Association, Member
- Douglas – Elbert County Bar Association, Member
- Metropolitan Denver Interdisciplinary Committee, Member